"People of Earth.... How are you?"
Welcome to Lady Fleabag, the musings and rants of world citizen Marni Hills. Here you can come to find daily musings, travel stories, dog and pet pictures and products, handmade gifts, crafts, jewelry and accessories, photography, creative writing, trend spotting, and much much more.

Please check back often, or better yet, sign up for email updates so you wont miss a thing!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Completed One of "100 things to do before you die"

As Olympic sports announcer Jim McKay used to say--
The Thrill of Victory, the Agony of Defeat

I don't know what you were doing today but I was realizing a long time goal-- competing in a Gymkhana in Grants Pass OR.  During-my-Lifetime-Goal: move to small town where I am ostracized for being myself and also having CA plates, learn how to ride a horse in 6 months, and just before moving away, compete in 'friendly' competition at the Josephine-County-Oregon-Sheriff's-Posse-sponsored games and beat the pants off several 11 year olds and a couple Oregonian 30 somethings and win two ribbons as my "last hurrah" in that town.  Check and check.



I entered to run in all four events on "Dusty"-- a fast and agile Arabian mix--where basically if you don't do anything spastic and just ride "correctly" he will rocket you through all the patterns like a programmable robot bullet.  Rocky, the huge clunky draft horse mix because, while no one can deny his beauty and personality, is too green to even think about putting him in this competition, plus he honestly doesn't care about doing the patterns, he thinks its dumb and doesn't possess the drive to compete at these kinds of things: 1) Running around a barrel [it was supposed to be picking up a flag when you rounded the barrel but they removed that part because the flag guy didn't show up] 2) The Poles 3) The Keyhole and 4) The Texas Barrels

This very seasoned horse woman named Lizzie (a heavy set 30 something who also rides at Greyback Stables) got so mad that I beat her at running around the barrel that she said "I'll get you in the poles Marni..." rather competitively and with a nasty smirk.  I didn't care about her, she was easy to beat.  All I wanted to do was beat the times of these little kids and this other 30 something named Troy who kept beating me in our "Division" ages 31 to 49.  Please realize I'm at the high end of this range people.

Marni runs around a barrel, wins 4th place at 12.2 seconds 
(60 second video)

So when we came up to go head to head in the Poles, Lizzie fell off her horse, and me, not caring or calling out or checking to see if she's hurt, was just frustrated about my time at 35 seconds as this did not beat this Troy dude who got 33 something and that's why I slap myself at the end of this 90 second video:

Lizzie tries to beat me at the Poles (90 seconds).

Marni emerges triumphant into the sunshine over Lizzie,
who limps out after falling off. (20 seconds)

I also won a 2nd place ribbon at the Keyhole-- running into a circle of chalk and not touching the chalk line-- you must turn the horse and run back.  Many a speedy young teenage girl (about twice as fast as I) totally blew this one--with their champion horses and shrieking stage moms-- because they tried to go too fast and blasted over the chalk.

Its all about precision, you see, and if you just stay out of the chalk, you may win even though you're not the fastest in the "B" Division.  Uh, otherwise known as the slow division.
   Marni places 2nd in the Keyhole-(video 45 seconds)
 featuring my Evil Nemesis "Troy"-- I beat him here at least.


Anyway, an excellent way to go out in style from this town.  Thank you to my dear friend Jamie for catching it ALL on video and not laughing!

Out on a high note as George and Jerry would say.  I will ride into the LA sunset with a new direction and love of my life, the horses-- and a fresh new batch of stories for our weekly "sunset and wine on Karas rooftop lounge"


Ahhhh..... an easy gab with the gals
and Bella the dog on my lap on the roof in the LA sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!